UPPERMILL, GT MANCHESTER
SUNDAY 21ST JANUARY 2018
Strenuous Leader : No one at presentO/S map(s) will be provided and also walk notes from previous visits.
Leisurely Leader : Dave Hatchard Distance : 6.00 milesAfter first making our way to the Visitor Centre we will then leave Uppermill and travel north on the old railway to Diggle, We continue on tracks and footpaths to Dean Head climbing gently all the way apart from a short steep climb on final stage. We turn west then south along Harrop Edge with views on both sides from hill top ridge before steeply coming back down to the start of walk.
Easy Leader : Jackie Gudgeon Distance 5.00 milesA short climb out of town brings us onto a disused railway line (Tame Valley Way) which we follow north to Ryefields where we join the Pennine Bridleway (lane) to Diggle. At Diggle we will join the Huddersfield Narrow Canal southwards until we reach Grandpa Greene’s Luxury Ice Cream Parlour where we will stop for tea or coffee, or ice cream! If it is open. We then continue to follow the canal for a nice easy stroll back into Uppermill. Some uphill on the stretch from Uppermill to Diggle but very easy walking on the way back.
NOTES ON THE AREA
From the late 18th century onwards, woollen mills were being constructed in the small tributary valleys to the east of Uppermill as well as along the River Tame itself. Also a number of cotton mills were also established. The southern half of the village was largely owned by the Shaw family who lived at St Chad's, close to what is now the village playing field. The car park at Uppermill is on the site of the Victoria Mill, constructed in the 1860's and closing in the 1930's after a life when it was mainly a cotton spinning mill. The Saddleworth Museum, founded by Lord Rhodes, is housed in what was once the mill's gas house. Running alongside the museum is an attractively restored section of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal, with boat trips on offer. There are numerous craft and gift shops in Uppermill, along with tea rooms and pubs. The village is particularly busy at the weekends.
Uppermill hosts several festivities each year, the highlight of which is the Saddleworth Folk Festival. The Brass Band Contest and the Beer Walk take place at the end of May. More cultural in its origins is the Rush Cart Festival at the end of August, when teams of Morris Men arrive from all over the country to compete in pulling a rush cart with a jockey sitting on top. The route takes them through the local villages where the dancers stop to show their dancing skills.
Saddleworth Church is situated about a mile to the east of Uppermill. The present church, dedicated to St Chad, is a largely Victorian building, although there is evidence to suggest that a place of worship existed on this site as far back as the 12th century.
The Uppermill folk must be a hardy lot to attend the annual Remembrance Day Service at the Pots & Pans War Memorial - there are several paths to the top but no vehicle access
SUNDAY 25TH FEBRUARY 2018
Strenuous Leader : Jimmy Need Distance : 8.00 milesWe set off from Slaidburn and make our way to Hammerton Hall and from there over to Bridge House Wood which could be our lunch break. After this we go to Stocks Reservoir and walk for about one and a half mile on the circular route. We then head up to Ten Acre Hill and from there we make our way back to base for some well-earned refreshments.
The conditions were very testing on this walk after the recent bad weather so what it lacks in distance it makes up for in stamina required.
Leisurely Leader : Peter Denton Distance : 6.00 milesOur walk today is in the top end of a leisurely walk. with a total of 550ft of climbs. There had been a lot of rain in the preceding weeks so there will be some road walking to avoid the worst of the wet land in the second half of our walk.
We leave the village on the road toward Towhead. We leave this road on a Bridleway that takes us down to where we cross the River Hodder. We then follow the footpath up to Hammerton Hall, and on up to Ten Acre Hill from where we head down to Gisburn Forest with some stunning views of the hills over and around Stocks Reservoir. At the bottom sits a little place of rest where we can stop for a rest before we then head up towards Cocklet Hill to a picnic area, and if the weather is kind to us we could have our butties here. We then head up to Stony Bank and to Meadow Top. Finally we head back down to Slaidburn, via road or pasture and meadow. Have a lovely day walking in Mother Nature’s finest.
Easy Leader : Cynthia Prescott Distance 4.50 milesThis walk starts from the car park, cafe and toilets with a stroll up through Slaidburn and then a pleasant woodland walk just above a stream. There are a number of ladder stiles and stone stiles as we move on up over farmland and up to a footbridge. As we progressed we found it became muddy so we head back on a quiet country lane with good views.
NOTES ON THE AREA
The village once had a smithy, a wheelwright, a tannery and a corn mill. Past industries have included hat manufacture, shoe and dress making and, in the 19th century, hand-loom weaving was carried out in the little community of Mount Pleasant at the top of the village.
The 'Halmote' or Chief Court of Bowland was once held at Slaidburn. The court room is still preserved and is located above the Hark to Bounty Inn with access by way up the outside steps. Inside one can view the original oak furnishings of benches, dock and witness box, along with the timber-work of the ceiling. Permission to view can be obtained from the innkeeper.
St Andrews Parish Church, anciently known as the Wanden or Warden Chapel, was first mentioned in 1120 when Hugh de la Val granted the monks of Kirkstall Priory 'some interest in the Church at Slaydeburn'. The tower is early English in design, but it has been subject to reconstruction many times. The massive angled buttresses were added when the west wall was rebuilt in the 14th century. Above the main west window are two highly decorated image niches. Sadly, the figures are long gone. The three-decker pulpit is an attractive creation from the early Georgian period (1740). In three tiers, it combines the parish clerk's seat, a lectern, and a pulpit. The clerk would lead the responses from the lowest stall. These lofty pulpits became necessary when high box pews became fashionable.
Built into the fabric of the north interior wall of the nave is a rather friendly stone head. This is one of many Celtic stone heads that are found in the north, and points to a pagan origin for the site.
The famous Roman Road, Watling Street, which went from Manchester north to Carlisle, passed just to the west of the village in what is now known as Hornby Road. The proximity of this famous road probably helped to make Slaidburn important.
The tiny hamlet of Dalehead, with its fine 17th century houses at Stocks and Rushton Grange, has now disappeared beneath the great expanse of water known as Stocks Reservoir. The old church that stood at Dalehead was the only building to avoid a watery grave. It was taken down and rebuilt in 1938 further up the valley. The graves were removed and now lie in the present churchyard.
The Witches of Pendle are remembered by the Lancashire Witches Walk.
Many famous and influential people have come from Slaidburn. One was Thomas Sanderson who emigrated to the US where he and his sons became prominent cattle farmers and politicians in places like Wisconsin and Nebraska. They knew Buffalo Bill. Robert Parker became a well-known and top lawyer working mainly for gentry in Yorkshire. Tempest Slinger, what a great name, was another top lawyer who worked in places like Lincoln’s Inn in London. Finally, James Radley was one of the first aviators.
HURST GREEN, LANCASHIRE
SUNDAY 25TH MARCH 2018
Strenuous Leader : Carole Rankin Distance : 10.00 milesToday we visit The Shire in search of Hobbits. From Hurst Green we go through Higher Deer House, Stock Bridge and Fell Side Farm to climb onto Longridge Fell (the highest point of the walk 306m, 1004ft) for some great views. Then Kemple End, on to admire the splendour of Stonyhurst College and then Lower Hodder Bridge. From here we follow the Ribble Way and Tolkien Trail back to Hurst Green, braving rampaging sheep on the way!!!
Please note it was extremely muddy on the recce so parts of the route have been changed from what I had originally planned.
Leisurely Leader : Joan McGlinchey Distance : 6-7 milesJoan has been unable to do the reccee mainly due to the weather being poor whenever she had planned to do it. So, it is going to be a bit of a combined effort. She will do the main part of the easy walk but add extra to it, such as going further on up to the view point.
EasyLeaders : Cynthia Prescott & Hazel Anderton Distance 4-5 milesNote: We have been promised some coffee or tea at the Bayley Arms near the community car park as we thought that there is no café in the village. From the pub the walk starts with a pleasant walk through woods, near a stream and along good paths and tracks. After a short section along Longridge Road we head down a track to Bayley Hall and through what was the farmyard. We see the remains of the moat, or maybe it is a Ha Ha seeing that the Hall is up on a hill, and then walk down through a little glade to a footbridge and then head up to the church and back to the village. The walk is generally some gentle ups and downs but has a steeper climb towards the end of the walk. There are only a few stiles but it is likely to be muddy after the recent poor weather.
The planned walk is only 4 miles but if it is a nice day Cynthia will lead another mile for those who wish through the grounds of Stonyhurst College which she says are very pleasant.
NOTES ON THE AREA
For many years the main industry here was farming, but the village’s prosperity began to grow significantly when Sir Nicholas Shireburne (or Shireburn) of Stonyhurst Hall ensured that his tenants were taught the skills of spinning and weaving, even keeping rooms in his hall for “as many as could spare time from their families to become proficient”, Nor did his generosity stop there for he provided everyone with yarn and looms “whereby the countryside around began to prosper and the village became full of busy little mills, rows of workers cottages, and the sound of rushing water”. Nowadays the main source of income is farming, tourism and employment at the college.
Stonyhurst College originally belonged to the Bayley family and later to the Shireburns. In 1592 Sir Richard Shireburn began to build a new house here which was to remain the family home until the death of Sir Nicholas, the last Shireburn, in 1717. The mansion subsequently fell into disrepair, and in 1794 it was handed over to the Society of Jesuits. Stonyhurst has since then, been considerably extended, and is now one of England’s most eminent public schools. The many priceless treasures in the college museum include the embroidered cap of Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Catherine of Aragon’s religious robes, and a cloak of Henry II which was later worn by Henry VIII at the Field of the Cloth of Gold (1520). Much older than any of these however, is the 7th century copy of St John’s Gospel – the oldest surviving English bound book. The magnificent west front is flanked by the beautiful St Peter’s Church, built in 1832-5 and modelled upon Kings College Chapel, Cambridge. Some of Stonyhurst’s famous ex-pupils include the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and the actor Charles Laughton.
It was near Hurst Green in around 1826 that a certain John L McAdam, an engineer famous for his roadmaking ideas, invented a road surface named ‘tarmacadam’ in his honour, or tarmac as it is better known today.
Longridge Fell is the most southerly named ‘Fell’ in the country. Its summit stands at 1148 ft. The extensive plantations consist mainly of sitka spruce, larch and lodgepole pine, and provide an ideal habitat for the shy roe deer. Birds to look out for are sparrow hawk, kestrel, short-eared owl, and tawny owl.
INGLETON, NORTH YORKSHIRE
SUNDAY 29TH APRIL 2018
Strenuous Leader : Carole Rankin Distance : 10.00 milesOnce again Carole will step in at the last minute to be leader as no one else has volunteered. She has not done a reccee but she has routes in mind and the decision will be made on the day after discussing it with the group and dependent on the weather.
Moderate Leader : Dave Hatchard Distance : 8 milesFrom Ingleton we head along Oddies Lane travelling for about two and a half miles to Grid 705749 (this part of the walk is a leg burner) equivalent to walking up Parbold Hill but we have plenty of time and we will do it slowly. We then turn left and continue for another one and a half mile to Grid 693759 crossing a foot bridge by the ford. During the planning this area was very boggy. We now make our way to Turbary Road about a mile over the moor Grid 684768. We then travel to Tow Scar Road Grid 676763. We continue past the radio mast to Grid 690751 Then travel 1 mile back to Ingleton. There are about 3 stiles, one a bit tricky, but there will be enough of us to help everyone over. Some of the walk involves crossing fields and depending on the weather will determine how muddy we end up. We may alter the walk.
Leisurely Leader : Joan McGlinchey Distance : 5 milesAlthough this walk does not have the usual miles for a leisurely walk it is not an easy walk as it has lots of steps up and down. It can be dangerous during wet weather. People with bad knees should think twice. If you think that you can manage it, we will be taking it at a slow place so that we can enjoy the surroundings as the waterfall valleys boasts some of the most spectacular waterfall and oak woodland scenery in the UK, truly encapsulating nature at its best. As well as the toilets in town there are toilets at the start, the end of the walk and at the halfway point along with a refreshment centre. There is a cost of £6 but it is worth the money, and there might be a possibility of paying less as we are a group on a coach.
Easy Leaders : Cynthia Prescott & Hazel Anderton Distance 4 or 5 milesWe have a choice today of two walks.
The four-mile walk has been recceed. There is more climbing than usual for an easy and there are stepping stones over the river but the scenery is varied with some lovely views. After leaving town we walk a short section just above the river then make our way up past some old quarries, and then go along a short stretch of road before going onto fields. We pass the toilets and refreshment centre at the top of the waterfalls valleys and then make our way back down to town on a track and a lane.
The alternative 5-mile walk has not been recceed but would be a much flatter route over fields. We will use tracks and a small lane to avoid going over some fields as fields and walls mean stiles! Quite a few of them. We will return to town not along the river but near it and then a bit of road walking. Which walk we do with depend on who is walking and what the weather is like.
NOTES ON THE AREA
Ingleton, an attractive little Dales town under the magnificent outline of its famous mountain, and close to the spectacular waterfalls, is an excellent walking centre. It is well supplied with shops, cafes, pubs, while Ingleton Community Centre has a small Information Point. The town was a staging post on the important Leeds-Kendal packhorse way, then later on the busy Keighley-Kendal turnpike. By the late 18th century its annual fair was noted for leather and oatmeal. Industry came in the form of textiles including a huge woollen mill. Water from the River Doe powered cotton and woollen mills. In the market place, opposite the Halifax Building Society, is the ancient bullring, where the bull was tied before being baited by dogs, last used for this purpose in the 19th century. Further along the High Street on the left is an attractive, late 17th century cottage.
The road from Ingleton to Hawes passes White Scar Cave. Here the visitor may penetrate half a mile under Ingleborough. Discovered in 1923, the cave has two underground waterfalls, wonderful coloured stalagmites, stalactites, and grottoes. St Mary's Church, at the top of the village, suffers from the threat of subsidence, as the result of having been built on a mound of glacial drift. Only the Norman tower, somewhat restored, survives from the original structure, which has been rebuilt at least three times. Inside the church is one of the finest Norman fonts in the West Riding, carved with figures of Mary, Jesus, the Three Magi and the Tree of Life, as well as scenes of Christ's Entry into Jerusalem and the Massacre of the Innocents. The font has had a chequered history. Under Cromwell, it was at one time used for mixing whitewash and mortar.
Ingleton Glens forms part of a private estate. The footpath through them is not a right of way, and a small charge is made for entry. The entrance to the Glens is at the bottom of the village, below the huge disused railway viaduct that carried the former Ingleton-Tebay line. A walk through the waterfalls is easy to follow, but more lives have been lost here in recent years than anywhere in the Dales under or above ground. The gorges are steep and the current swift, and to fall in is to risk almost certain drowning. The paths however are well made and perfectly safe with care. A lot of work has been recently done to make the paths and steps safer.
Above Ingleborough village looms the great bulk of Ingleborough Hill, at 2373 ft the third-highest mountain in Yorkshire. It is one of the hills to be climbed in the 'Three Peaks Race' along with Whernside and Pen-y-Ghent. Ingleborough's limestone mass is riddled with great caves and extensive potholes and is topped with the remains of an Iron Age fortification, possibly a Brigantian stronghold. The tiny church at Chapel-le-Dale, St Leonards, is particularly lovely. The Lakeland poet, Robert Southey, wrote in 1847 that "A hermit who might wish his grave to be as quiet as his cell, could imagine no fitter resting place". Ironically in the 1870s, nearly 100 navvies perished from accidents, illness and disease in the building of the Ribblehead viaduct and Blea Moor tunnel on the Settle-Carlisle railway line and were buried in an extended graveyard at Chapel-de-Dale. A marble plaque in the church commemorates the deaths and a booklet tells of tales of tragic deaths.
CONISTON, LAKE DISTRICT
SUNDAY 3RD JUNE 2018
Strenuous Leader : Malcolm Chamberlain Distance : 11.50 milesThis walk takes 5 hours and climbs 480 m or 1500 ft and the first climb is steep – please bring plenty of water.
We head northwest out of Coniston on the Cumbria Way through Back Guards Wood to Yewdale. From here we start to climb, through Harry Guards Wood, taking the Uskdale Gap to the top of Holme Fell (317m); some parts of this path are narrow, rough and steep. If the weather is clear, then we will get good views of Coniston Water and across to Lingmoor Fell and Langdale. We then descend to Oxen Fell High Cross and climb up the path to Tarn Hows, where there is an ice cream van and toilets. From here we descend to Boon Crag Farm (more good views) before one last short climb through Guards Wood and back into Coniston.
Moderate Leader : Pamela Chamberlain Distance : 8.70 milesWe head northwest out of Coniston on the Cumbria Way to climb through Guards Wood and Tarn Hows Wood on pathways, some of shale, and make our way to Tarn Hows. There is a moment to take a quick break before we walk around the water and head downhill via waterfalls. This path is narrow (1 person at a time), slippery and will take some time to complete. At the bottom of the waterfalls we will walk via Yewtree Farm to Shepherd’s Bridge and make our way across fields of sheep before one last short climb through Back Guards Wood and back into Coniston.
Leisurely Leader : Peter Denton Distance : 5.00+ milesOff we go! We pass the Ruskin Museum past Mart Crag then Yewdale Crag, we cross the road (A593) go to Yewdale Beck and then into Tarn Hows Wood. We pass Tarn Hows Cottage and go up to Tarn Hows where we lunch. We then head back down to Coniston via Hill Fell Plantation for a well-earned Cuppa or something. Although this walk does not have the usual miles for a leisurely walk it is not an easy walk as it has a long climb at the first part of the walk.
Easy Leaders : Ruth Melling &, Hazel Anderton Distance 5.00 milesA nice walk. After leaving town we walk near the lake side, passing Coniston Hall, as far as Torver jetty and then turn up and go past a camping site with yurts and teepees. We follow the route of the main road back to town but walk mainly on an old railway track, and only one part on a newly constructed footpath on the roadside verge. It is flat nearly all the way apart from going up to the campsite, and going down back into town right at the end. There are no stiles, and generally good underfoot on little lanes and good tracks apart from one small section which might be muddy in wet weather. Our boots came home clean. Lovely views all round often with the lake in sight. Near the jetty we saw some chemical loos, think called Lakeside Loos. Not a pretty sight looking down the pan but well maintained as the interior of the booth was clean, did not smell and hand cleanser was provided.
NOTES ON THE AREA
The nearby Coniston Water is one of the longest straight stretches of placid water in the Lake District, 5 miles long, and was used for Donald Campbell's ill-fated attempt at the world water speed record in 1967. His jet-powered boat, Bluebird, went out of control as he attempted to become the first man to break 300 mph on water, and Campbell was killed. Basically, when the boat reached a certain speed it took off as if it was an aeroplane. His body has never been found, until very recently, when remains, believed to be those of Campbell have been recovered from the lake, following the discovery and raising of Bluebird itself. The boat is now undergoing extensive restoration. A short distance to the north of Coniston is Tarn Hows, a popular beauty spot. The tarn is strictly an artificial pond created by damming a stream and a few pools of marshland. The area around Tarn Hows is now in the care of the National Trust, and was once owned by Beatrix Potter, the author and illustrator of books for children, including Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck and others. She sold half of the Tarn Hows area to the National Trust at cost, and bequeathed the other half.
SUNDAY 1ST JULY 2018
Strenuous Leader : Rob Rose Distance : 10.00 milesWe come out of Hartington on Highfield Road, turn off and walk through Chapel Farm and Heathcote on to the Pennine Way. After a couple of miles on the bridle way we come off and walk through Darley Farm past the quarry and Vincent House towards Pilsbury and then head back to Hartington.
Moderate Leader : Dave Hatchard Distance : 8.00 milesWe walk along the path to Wolfescote Dale which is well used and initially crosses open pasture before entering woodland into Beresford Dale, and we follow the River Dove southwards. At the second bridge we turn into Beresford Lane. After a short distance we take a footpath and a bridle path towards Narrowdale. We skirt the flank of Narrowdale Hill before turning east and heading towards Gypsy Bank and then steeply down back into Dovedale. We turn northwards along Wolfescote Dale, and eventually retrace our route back into Hartington.
Leisurely Leader : no leader Distance :
Easy Leaders : Adelaide Houghton &, Hazel Anderton Distance 5.00 milesThis is an undulating walk. From Hartington we go up past Hartington Hall Youth Hostel along walled lanes and tracks affording good views of the surrounding countryside to join the Tissington Trail for about a mile. We then go down good field paths to the village of Biggin. We continue though the village on a lane and then along a stony track as we head back to Hartington. There are several different little stiles and we need to be slim!
NOTES ON THE AREA
The Tissington Trail extends for 13 miles from Ashbourne to ParsleyHay where it meets the High Peak Trail. Formerly the Ashbourne-Buxton railway line, the old track is now a popular path for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. The railway was built by the engineer Francis Stevenson on behalf of the London and North Western Railway Company. It was a single track with passing loops at stations. Opened on 4th June 1899, the line mainly carried freight such as milk, and limestone from the local quarries to the kilns near Buxton. Today the trail offers walkers and cyclists the chance to explore the natural habitat of many different birds and wild flowers. It seems that there are many bicycles for hire to explore the trails. Stilton cheese is made at the factory on the edge of the village. This is the only remaining of seven original factories in the area and was opened in the 1870's. Genuine Stilton can only be made in Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, and this factory qualifies by a quarter of a mile! The impressive Hartington Hall was built by the Bateman family in 1611. It is a typical Derbyshire yeoman's house with three gables and mullioned windows. It has been a youth hostel since 1934. Also to the east of the village is a signal box of the Ashbourne-Buxton Railway, which closed in 1967 and is now an information centre on the Tissington Trail. Three miles to the north is Pilsbury Castle, now just a mound, probably on the site of an Iron-Age fort. The parish church of St Giles was built in the thirteenth century with a Saxon stone in one wall. Like all villages there is an active social life with details available in the internet for those who might wish to visit.
SUNDAY 29TH JULY 2018
Strenuous Leader : Jimmy Need Distance : 10.00 milesWe make our way from Elterwater to Skelwith Bridge via the Cumbria Way. If we have some rain we may see the waterfalls. From here we make our way to Loughrigg Tarn followed by Red Bank which should be a lovely spot for lunch.Then we go to Grasmere lake shore and from here to Hungstile Crag and finally back to Elterwater.
Moderate Leader : Peter Denton Distance : 7.80 milesWe start our walk at the National Trust Car Park walking along the beck on to the newly restored cobbled path and skirt round the north side of Elter Water below the Lansdale Road, with fantastic views behind to the Langdale Pikes. When we reach the bridge at Force How we will get to see the falls then cross the bridge and head for Park House through the farm yard, heading for Low Colwith Water Falls, and next head down to Hodge Close. After that, we head up to Moss Ring Wood and up to Little Langdale. We are now on the last leg back to Elterwater for a well-earned cuppa or whatever takes your fancy.
Leisurely Leader : Steve Balenski Distance : 6.50 milesWe start by heading south along Coniston Road to the Elterwater Hotel where we turn off on a gradually steepening rocky lane towards Little Langdale where there are superb views of the Coniston Fells. We continue towards Stang End then eastwards towards to Skelwith Bridge where there is a café and toilets. We finish by walking on a flat footpath back to Elterwater by the side of Elter Water lake.
Easy Leader : no leader Distance :Jackie may step in.
NOTES ON THE AREA
Skelwith Bridge stands at an ancient crossing point of the River Brathay, near which today's main road forks to enter Great Langdale or to turn for Coniston. Just upstream of the village, which boasts a small slate business at Kirkstone Galleries, the river forms a number of attractive cascades, Skelwith Force. The village of Skelwith Bridge was the home of Doris and Muriel Howe, novelists who wrote both under their own names and under the joint pseudonym 'Newlyn Nash'. They wrote more than seventy romantic and mystery novels, many set in Lakeland.